Chipotle pilots new all-electric restaurant design alongside sustainable campaign
Chipotle Mexican Grill (NYSE: CMG) recently announced a new all-electric restaurant design that works to maximize energy efficiency in its equipment and systems and utilizes 100% renewable energy from wind power and solar through the purchase of certified renewable energy credits. The company recently opened restaurants with the new features in Gloucester, Virginia and Jacksonville, Florida, with a third location opening later this summer in Castle Rock, Colorado . The new restaurant design pilot will help Chipotle progress toward its science-based targets, established in alignment with ‘Science Based Targets initiative’ (SBTi), to reduce direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions 50% by 2030 compared to a 2019 baseline.
3 minutes read
All electric equipment utilizes 100% renewable energy
With an aggressive development goal of eventually growing to 7,000 locations in North America, Chipotle will leverage its new restaurant openings to scale the company’s overall impact. Chipotle plans to have more than 100 of its new locations in 2024 utilize all-electric equipment and at least some additional elements from its new design. The company will continue to innovate and iterate on the new design as it gains operational feedback and insights.
Not only an all-electric restaurant design but also broader environmental initiatives
To help meet its goal of reducing direct and indirect greenhouse gas emissions company-wide 50% by 2030 compared to a 2019 baseline, Chipotle is instituting various additional initiatives, including:
- Standardizing the installation of energy management systems at every restaurant to manage heating and cooling, refrigeration temperatures, and other equipment.
- Exploring greater use of low carbon fuels and adoption of renewable resources in logistics.
- Investing in projects to drive emission reductions in beef and dairy production.
- Exploring and developing strategies to support greater adoption of regenerative agriculture practices among supply chain partners.
- Developing plans for offering additional vegetarian and vegan menu items.
- Increasing the amount of local produce  purchased in 2023 to a planned total of at least 36.4 million pounds.
Chipotle’s all-electric and Responsible restaurant
Key features of Chipotle’s responsible restaurant design concept include:
- Rooftop solar panels, where feasible
- All-electric equipment and systems to replace gas power
- Heat pump water heaters
- Smaller electric cookline and improved exhaust hoods compared to other Chipotle kitchens
- Energy management systems (which have already been deployed in most existing restaurant locations)
- Biodegradable service ware such as cutlery, straws, bowls, cups, and lids
- Cactus leather chairs
- Artwork made from recycled rice husks
- Electric vehicle charging stations at select locations
“With our aggressive development goal in North America, we hold ourselves accountable to reduce the environmental impact of our restaurants,” said Laurie Schalow, Chief Corporate Affairs Officer at Chipotle. “We are aiming to incorporate some elements of our responsible restaurant design into many of our new restaurant openings going forward.” Check out their all-electric restaurant design in the video below:
Human Nature & 2022 Sustainability Report
Together with the launch of its new restaurant design and the “Human Nature” film, Chipotle published its 2022 Sustainability Report, which showcases its efforts in three categories: People, Food and Animals, and the Environment. The report covers Chipotle’s impact, progress, and goals in areas that play a critical role in its mission to Cultivate a Better World.
To learn more about sustainability at Chipotle and review the full report, please visit their website on sustainability.
 Restaurant locations: 7115 George Washington Memorial Hwy, Gloucester, VA 23061; 5954 Promenade Pkwy, Castle Rock, CO 80108; and 5801 Beach Blvd, Jacksonville FL, 32207
 Food sourced from within 350 miles of a distribution center is defined as local
We wrote about more initiatives by Chipotle.
Website: Chipotle Mexican Grill