An overnight stay with Airbnb in the iconic Moulin Rouge windmill
The Moulin Rouge is unveiling a secluded room inside the iconic red windmill that has been sumptuously designed to transport guests back in time to the late 19th century. Few are aware of the space inside the windmill, which has never been open for public access and is now bookable for an overnight stay on Airbnb. The windmill interior has been transformed into a Belle Époque inspired boudoir, reminiscent of the cabaret era. Guests will experience a peek behind the velvet curtains of the fabled landmark, including backstage access to the theatre, a traditional French three-course meal, the best seats during the Moulin Rouge’s acclaimed show Féerie and an overnight stay inside the iconic windmill, all for just €1 a night.
Guests can request to book the three individual one-night stays on June 13, 20 and 27 beginning Tuesday, May 17 at 7:00 PM CEST at airbnb.com/moulinrouge. More details about this spectacular deal in the article.
2 minutes read
About the Airbnb stay at this iconic windmill in Paris
Upon their arrival guests will be treated to a carefully curated evening designed to embrace the grandeur of the illustrious cabaret. Highlights include:
- A private tour of the Moulin Rouge: its history, its costumes makers and its backstage area.
- An aperitif on the romantic rooftop terrace followed by the Belle Époque menu three-course dinner prepared by resident chef Arnaud Demerville. A classic Parisian petit déjeuner will also be provided the following morning.
- A meet and greet with lead dancer and Airbnb Host, Claudine Van Den Bergh in her dressing room and photos on stage with the cast of the show.
- The best seats in the house during the Moulin Rouge show, Féerie: a fantasy world of feathers and French opulence, featuring sensational performances, sumptuous sets and original music.
And of course, an unforgettable overnight stay inside the renowned red windmill!
The host of the three individual one-night stays for two guest
Lead dancer Claudine Van Den Bergh will open the doors to the handsome hideaway and host three individual one-night stays for two guests each on June 13, 20 and 27. “Attending a show at the Moulin Rouge offers an escape from the everyday and an incredible immersion into the glamor and grandeur of French Music Hall. The Belle Époque-inspired interior of our much loved windmill will transport guests to the era from which this timeless cabaret emerged”, according to Claudia.
About the space at Moulin Rouge
Situated in the heart of Montmartre, the Moulin Rouge is best known as the birthplace of the French Cancan, a delightfully energetic cabaret and a performance that is symbolic to the Belle Epoque Era. When recreating the decorative and stylistic details of this celebrated time in history, Airbnb worked with the renowned 19th century French historian, Jean-Claude Yon, to authentically renovate the windmill, exactly as it would have been. “The Belle Époque era was a time when French culture and arts flourished – and no landmark is more iconic to that period than the Moulin Rouge. This secret room inside the cabaret’s famous windmill has been designed to take you on an authentic journey back in time to experience the French capital of arts and pleasures during a moment in history”, according to Jean-Claude Yon.
Throughout its colourful history, the windmill – which was first constructed in 1889 as a nod to the site’s rural origins and reconstructed three decades later following a fire – was never opened to the public, until now. Guests will travel back in time to experience:
- An opulent boudoir filled with exquisite art nouveau features including a miniature paper stage to immerse guests in the spirit of The Cabaret.
- A dressing area featuring glamorous accessories from the Belle Epoque, including vintage costumes, fragrant perfumes and effusive letters from admirers.
- A private rooftop terrace adorned with an ornate pagoda and garden furniture characteristic of the time period – an ideal setting for an après show cocktail!
About Moulin Rouge
Created in 1889 and immortalized by Toulouse-Lautrec, the Moulin Rouge celebrates this year its 133 anniversary! The cast of 60 artists from 14 different nationalities perform twice every evening in the show “Féerie”, an amazing show in the grand tradition of French Music-Hall with 1000 costumes of feathers, rhinestones and sequins, sumptuous settings in shimmering colours and the famous French Cancan… An exceptional show which welcomes every year more than 600.000 spectators from all around the world! A must-do when you are in Paris!
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and one-of-a-kind activities that make it possible for guests to experience the world in a more authentic, connected way.
We have written about more spectacular overnight stays by Airbnb, like the one in Malibu, the Barbie Dreamhouse for the ultimate fan stay.